The holiday season isn’t complete without pretty decorated sugar cookies!
(Most times I make both.)
This time I decided on a pastel winter theme!
I looove how they turned out! And then pearl sprinkles were the perfect touch.
One Dozen Perfect Sugar Cookie Cutouts
Reposted from two years ago
- 3/4 cup flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter and sugar. Once light and fluffy, add the egg yolk and extracts. Once well incorporated, sprinkle over half the flour mixture and beat gently until combined, then sprinkle over the rest. Beat until no streaks of flour remain, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Dust a clean counter top with flour, and dump the dough out onto it. Gather it into a ball and press it into a 2″ thick round disk. Flour your rolling pin, then roll out the dough out big enough to cut out about 8 shapes. Place the shapes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Gather the dough scraps and re-roll to cut out 4 more shapes and place them on the cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 5 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies just start to turn brown. Let them sit on the sheet a few minutes before moving them a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, I decorated with royal icing tinted with gel food coloring. Decorate to your heart’s desire!
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 egg whites, beaten
- Whip egg white until soft peaks form.
- In a bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar and cream of tartar.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar at a time.
- Tint with gel food coloring